Choosing your Meal Plan

How do I know which meal plan I should buy?

College students lead active lifestyles, and our meal plans are designed to fit around your busy schedules. The Platinum Meal Plan is designed to provide the best value and allows students the greatest flexibility to purchase meals on campus. We encourage every student to analyze their typical diet and meal pattern to determine which meal plan is best for them. Read more about our meal plans here.

How do the WashU meal plans work? 

Meal Plans at WashU are different than most universities. Our meal plans are 100% declining balance meal points. Our dining locations on campus are al-a-carte, allowing you to only pay for the food you want, when you want.

Can I change my meal plan?

Students may change their meal plan within the first two weeks of the fall semester or within the first two weeks of the spring semester. All changes submitted in the first 2 weeks of each semester will be effective at the end of the 2 week period.

Students with a housing contract may visit the WashU Housing Portal via WebSTAC to complete the meal plan change form. Students living off-campus, not in university housing, may request a change in their meal plan by contacting Washington University Dining Services at

Where and when can I use my meal points?

You can use your meal points at any location on campus operated by WashU Dining Services. There is no restriction on when, where, and how many points you can use at one time!

How many meals per week will I be able to eat with my plan?

A declining balance meal plan does not provide a set number of meals per week. Instead, students receive a certain amount of meal points at the beginning of the semester to spend. The number of meals your meal plan will provide depends on your specific eating habits and the type of foods you like to eat.

Larger meal plans, like our Platinum Plan, will provide you with more meal points to start the semester. Many students purchase a larger plan to purchase more meals, snacks, and occasional groceries on campus.

What are the meal plan contract service dates?
SemesterStart DateEnd Date
Fall 2023August 19, 2023December 21, 2023
Spring 2024January 12, 2024May 9, 2024
Can I purchase items during non-service dates?

Students on campus during non-service dates may purchase food or beverages tax-exempt using their optional Bear Bucks account.

Non-service dates include Pre-Orientation, Winter Break, and Summer Break.

Summer Meal Plans are available for enrolled students living on campus.

How do I know how many points I have left?

Students can check their meal point balance at any time by logging into WebSTAC. Students can also request a receipt at time of purchase to view their meal point balance.

What do I do if I run out of meal points?

If a student depletes a meal plan, food and beverages may be purchased tax-exempt with the optional Bear Bucks Account. Students will automatically be rolled over to the Bear Bucks Account if a meal plan is depleted.

Do meal points roll-over?

Unused meal points will roll over from fall semester to spring semester, however, students are still required to purchase a new meal plan for the spring.

At the end of the spring semester, any unused meal points are forfeited. At the end of the spring semester, students have opportunities to purchase items in bulk or transfer meal points to other students or to the Food Security Fund.

Are there any meal plan restrictions on where I can eat?

Meal plans are only valid at Dining Services campus locations.

Can I use my meal points off-campus?  

No. Meal points are designed to be only used on campus in locations operated by WashU Dining Services.

Students can use their optional Bear Bucks account to purchase food on Grubhub with participating restaurants.

How do I access my meal plan?

Your meal plan is loaded onto your student ID.  You only need to carry one card with you on campus.  This card will give you access to buildings, your meal plan, as well as your Bear Bucks account!

Can I transfer meal points?

Yes, students can transfer meal points to another student with a meal plan. To transfer points, students must complete this form and return it to the Dining Services office next to Paws & Go. Students with an off-campus plan are not eligible for transfer. Students that transfer points to another student are ineligible to receive funds from the Food Security Fund for that semester.

An administrative charge of 10 points PER PERSON is assessed for each transaction. These points will be deducted from your balance. The minimum amount that can be transferred is 100 points. The maximum amount that can be transferred is 500 points.

Nutrition FAQ

Is it free to meet with a campus dietitian?

Yes! All students have access to free consultations with a campus dietitian. Consults may be for healthcare purposes, food allergies/dining concerns, or sports and performance nutrition. In-person and virtual consults are available, email to learn more and book your appointment.

I have food allergies; how will this affect my dining experience?

Simply Made, our food allergy friendly station, is available in our residential dining halls: The Bear’s Den, The DUC, and The Village. All foods served at this station are prepared exclusively with ingredients which do not contain the following food allergens:

Milk | Eggs | Wheat | Soy | Shellfish | Fin Fish | Sesame | Peanuts |Treenuts | Gluten

Menu items prepared for our Simply Made stations use separate equipment to reduce the risk of cross contamination. Additionally, Simply Made staff receive additional food allergy training for safer food handling and storage.

We recommend setting up a consultation with one of our dietitians to learn more about how we can accommodate you on campus! Email

What if my food allergy falls outside of the Top 9 allergies and/or I have multiple allergies?

Our Nutrition Team can help! We have additional programs in place specifically for students with these types of dining needs. To get started, and learn more, email!

Where can I find nutritional information for menu items?

Nutritional information and ingredients can be found online at or on the Everyday App.

Additional FAQ

How can I request assistance from the Food Security fund?

The Food Security Fund request form will be available starting on April 1. The Food Security Fund is only for undergraduate students. You can request assistance from the food security fund here.

How can I transfer meal points to the Food Security Fund?

Students who are interested in transferring meal points to the Food Security Fund can do so at the end of the Fall and Spring Semester. You can transfer 25 or 50 meals points. To transfer points please fill out the form here. If you would like to be considered to transfer a larger number of points please email

Can I transfer points to another student?

Points can be transferred between or among students only one time per academic semester with a 100-point minimum and 500-point maximum. A 10-point transaction fee will be assessed PER STUDENT for the transfer. Both students will need to sign the transfer form, and both students involved in the transfer need to visit the Dining Services offices located in the Zetcher House (just past Paws & Go Market), open Monday – Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.. Students with a Platinum Plan, Gold Plan, Silver Plan, Bronze Plan or Apartment Plan are eligible for transfer. Off campus meal plan members are not eligible to transfer points. Students may purchase food or beverage items for friends with their own meal card as well.

What is a Coffee Club Card?

Students with our Coffee Club Card receive complimentary hot drip coffee, iced drip coffee, iced tea, and hot tea at Cafe Bergson in the DUC, Cherry Tree in The Bear’s Den, and Coffee Connection in The Village. Students who purchase a platinum meal plan will automatically receive a complimentary Coffee Club Card for each semester!

The coffee card excludes specialty coffees, espresso drinks, and cold brew. Coffee Club Cards can be picked up from the Dining Services office upon invitation to do so.

Can I purchase a Coffee Club Card if I don’t have the Platinum Meal Plan?

Yes! Students can purchase a Coffee Club Card separately if they do not have the Platinum Meal Plan.


For additional information or feedback, contact our Dining Services Team.